Thursday, February 23, 2006

Tidbits I Learned Today

I can't believe that a week from tomorrow, I'll be on my way to Kabul. I've completed my shopping of finding long, shapeless shirts and jeans. I may throw in a long skirt - we'll see how the packing goes.

I've also picked up a Polaroid camera (I forgot how much fun they are) - the idea being that I can give an instant photo as a "gift." My digital and standard 35mm (for black and white) are making the trip, too. I still need to pick up some postcards - but the ones I've seen of Florida contain people in bathing suits and I don't think that would fly well over there!

My friend Rob was in Germany attending a travel trade show a few weeks back and Afghanistan had a display - to promote tourism into the country. My friend picked me up a brochure (which was in German). He described the cover of the brochure, "There's a beat up looking bus loaded with people inside and people sitting on top."

"Then there's a car with something rolled up sticking out of the trunk."

"The country is 100% Muslim."

"Following Sept. 11, 2001, the Taliban and United States entered into a conflict."

He reckoned they were reaching for anything to promote tourism into the country. Can't wait to see the brochure and the real thing!

No comments: